DMU Announces 2022 Commencement Exercises
Friday, May 13th – Pre-Graduation Events
Saturday, May 14th, 2022 – Graduation Mass and Commencement Ceremony
Event Locations and Parking Information
DMU Sterling Campus
45154 Underwood Lane
Sterling, VA 20166
Free parking is available outside the building
Metro: This location is not easily accessible by Metro or bus.
This location will be hosting all Pre-Graduation Events on Friday, May 13th, 2022.
Cathedral of St. Thomas More
3901 Cathedral Ln
Arlington, VA 22203
The parish has a generous size parking lot.
This location will be hosting rehearsal and the Graduation Mass & Ceremony on Saturday, May 14th, 2022.
Ground and Local Travel
Students and their guests are completely responsible for arranging their own transportation throughout their stay in the Northern Virginia area. Please specifically note the following:
For travel between DMU’s Campus and Cathedral of St. Thomas More:
DMU’s campus and the Fairfield Inn of Sterling are approximately 23 miles from the Cathedral of St. Thomas More. The commute time is approximately 25-40 minutes depending on the route and traffic conditions.
For travel between DMU’s Campus and the Fairfield Inn and Suites
The hotel is within walking distance of the University. Please use caution when walking between the two locations as there are double lane roads.
- For Graduates without a car: Collaborate to save money! Connect with other graduates, stay near or with each other and consider sharing taxi/Uber/Lyft costs.
- The map feature on your phone or other electronic device is also great for route planning!
- Even if you are familiar with the area, consider using WAZE or Google Maps to ensure the fastest route during heavy traffic.
- The University is unable to arrange taxi rides for guests. Anyone planning to use a taxi service during any part of their transportation is responsible for those arrangements.
Other Modes of Transportation
- Metro: Please note that no metro lines run to Sterling. If you intend to use public transportation to travel from/to that area, it will require a significant amount of pre-planning, and most likely multiple modes of transportation.
- Parkmobile: Allows you to pay for parking on your phone in the D.C. and Northern Virginia area. No more digging for quarters!
- Rental Car (an especially recommended option if accommodations are in Sterling)
There are 3 major airports that are near the DMU campus in Sterling, VA
Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- 5 min drive to DMU Campus (Sterling) and the Fairfield Inn and Suites
- 30 min drive to Cathedral of St. Thomas More
Reagan National Airport (DCA)
- 40 min drive to DMU Campus (Sterling)
- 15 min drive to Cathedral of St. Thomas More
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI)
- 70 min drive to DMU Campus (Sterling)
Book flights as early as possible! We recommend booking travel and accommodations as early as possible as the spring is a busy travel season in the Washington D.C. area.
Students and their guests are completely responsible for arranging their own lodging/hotel accommodations during graduation festivities. If you are having difficulty locating accommodations, please feel free to reach out to us, and we can help find the best fit for you. Contact us at email@example.com.
Note: Please be sure to factor in all local ground transportation costs and travel time to commencement-related events as you search for lodging.
A courtesy block of rooms has been made at the Fairfield Inn and Suites. Please be sure to check out this option as you consider your housing arrangements for the weekend.
All details related to your hotel stay should be addressed directly with the hotel (i.e. parking, shuttle to/from airport, cancellation policy, etc.). The availability of the courtesy block has limited capacity and is not guaranteed by the University. In the best interest of securing a room, you are highly encouraged to make all reservations as soon as possible.
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott at Dulles Airport
23000 Indian Creek Drive
Sterling, VA 20166
Ph: 1-800-228-2800 or 703-435-5300