Ground Transportation/Car Travel
Students and their guests are completely responsible for arranging their own transportation* throughout their stay in the DC area. Please specifically note the following:
Event Specific Address and Parking Information
DMU Sterling Campus
Address: 45154 Underwood Lane, Sterling, VA
Parking: Free parking is available outside the building
Metro: This location is not easily accessible by Metro or bus
This location will be hosting all Graduation Pre-Events on Friday, May 10th, 2019
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Address: 400 Michigan Ave, NE, Washington, DC
Parking: The Main parking lot can be accessed via Harewood Road, which is on the west side of the Basilica. Handicapped parking is available off the east of the front circle of the Basilica. For more information about parking and accessibility, please see the Basilica website HERE.
Metro: Brookland-CUA Metro Station stop is roughly three blocks away from the Basilica and is accessible via the red-line.
For travel between DMU’s Sterling, VA location and the Basilica in DC
- There is the option of a toll road for potentially faster travel
- Alternate non-toll route options are available
- DMU’s Sterling VA building and the Fairfield Inn of Sterling are about 35 miles from Washington, D.C.; this commute time is approximately one hour without traffic.
- We recommend a generous travel cushion, at least 60 minutes (potentially longer) to account for traffic and parking
- Free parking is extremely rare, so be prepared to pay for parking in most situations if you are exploring the city. However, please note that free parking is available at the Basilica and at DMU’s Sterling location.
- Consider combining transportation methods, (i.e. Metro halfway, then Uber/Taxi/Lyft for the remainder– or vice versa).
- Collaborate to save money! Connect with other graduates, stay near or with each other and consider sharing taxi/Uber/Lyft costs.
- The map feature on your phone or other electronic device is also great for route planning!
- Even if you are familiar with the area, consider using WAZE or Google Maps to ensure the fastest route during heavy traffic.
- Gas prices tend to be significantly cheaper outside the city of D.C., so consider filling up before coming into the city.
- The University is unable to arrange taxi rides for guests. Anyone planning to use a taxi service during any part of their transportation is responsible for those arrangements.
Other Modes of Transportation
- Metro information: https://www.wmata.com/ *Please note that no metro lines run to Sterling. If you intend to use public transportation to travel from/to that area, it will require a significant amount of pre-planning, and most likely multiple modes of transportation.
- Parkmobile: allows you to pay for parking on your phone in the D.C. and Northern Virginia area. No more digging for quarters! Get the app HERE.
- Rental Car (an especially recommended option if accommodations are in Sterling)
*Please note there will be a ONE-way, university-sponsored shuttle from the Fairfield Inn in Sterling, VA (located immediately next to DMU’s new building) to the Basilica on Saturday, May 11th for *graduates only* to arrive in time for rehearsal.
There are 3 major airports that are near DMU’s new location in Sterling, VA
Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- ~10 min drive to DMU Campus (Sterling)
- ~60 min drive to National Basilica
Reagan National Airport (DCA)
- ~40 min drive to DMU Campus (Sterling)
- ~30 min drive to National Basilica (traffic dependent)
Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI)
- ~70 min drive to DMU Campus (Sterling)
- ~45 min drive to National Basilica
Book flights as early as possible! We recommend booking travel and accommodations as early as possible as the spring is a busy travel season in the Washington D.C. area.