Psy.D. Clinical Psychology Admission Information
Admission to the Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.) in Clinical Psychology program is open to applicants who have completed an undergraduate degree, preferably in psychology, at a regionally accredited institution of higher learning.
There are two phases of the admission process:
- Application: A completed application packet received in the Office of Admissions is required to progress to the second phase of the admission process.
- On Campus Interview: After initial review, applicants are selected for the final interview required for admission to the Psy.D. program
Please note that interviews are not guaranteed at any point in the process.
Schedule a brief call with an Admissions Advisor at your convenience!
- Tambi Spitz Kilhefner – Schedule Call
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or a minimum of a 3.5 GPA for graduate studies.
- In rare circumstances, applicants with a cumulative GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered for admission. An applicant with such circumstances should contact the Admissions Office directly before completing the application process.
- Undergraduate degree in psychology preferred. Note: Studentsadmitted without an undergraduate degree in psychology will be required to complete pre-requisite courses during the first year of their program.
- Application Package. A completed and signed application package includes:
- Application for Admission. Click here to apply.
- Three Recommendations, at least two of which must be academic in nature; template found here.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- Essays (see Application for Admission)
- Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume, inclusive of work/employment history
- Official GRE general test scores (DMU school code 5639) within the past five years. (The GRE score is required of all applicants; no preferred minimum score has been established for admission to the program.)
- Non-refundable $55 application fee
- After all paperwork listed above is submitted, competitive applicants will be invited to interview on-site with a number of Psy.D. faculty. The on campus interviews are required for admission to the Psy.D. program.
- International Students must meet English language proficiencies and degree requirements as outlined below:
- Applicants whose primary language is other than English please note the following:
- Applicants whose native language is not English must have taken the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the past two years, and the scores must be submitted directly to DMU by the testing agency. (DMU school code 5639).
- TOEFL scores must be at least 100 on the internet-based version (iBT), 250 on the computer-based version (CBT), and 600 on the paper-based version (PBT). Academic IELTS scores must fall into the overall band of at least 7.0, with no individual band scores below 6.0. Test results must be sent directly from the testing agency, which will only make them available for up to two years from the test date. For more information, follow this link to our academic catalog.
- For international applicants and applicants whose baccalaureate degree was earned at an institution outside of the U.S. please note the following:
- Applicants holding degrees from outside the United States must submit any international transcript(s) to a NACES approved evaluation service (such asorg or www.edperspective.org) for a “Course-by-Course” evaluation of their transcripts. For more information, follow this link to our catalog.
- Applicants holding degrees from outside the United States must demonstrate post-secondary education that is, at minimum, equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree.
Summer Scholarship Deadline*: September 1st, 2019
*In order to meet the early application deadline, applicants must submit Parts I – VIII of the online application by September 1st.
Early Application Deadline*: November 1st, 2019
*In order to meet the early application deadline, applicants must submit all application materials and have taken the GRE by November 1st.
If you would like to submit an application after the Final Application deadline, please reach out to our Admissions Office to inquire about availability of spaces. Any applications received after that date are reviewed on a space available basis.
PsyD Application deadline extended! You can still be considered for fall 2020 admission to our PsyD program, space permitting! Those who have not applied but wish to pursue application to the PsyD program for fall 2020, please contact the office of Admissions today (firstname.lastname@example.org) and note your intent to apply for fall 2020! Our Admissions team will be happy to work with you through the process. The Extended Application Deadline is March 20th, 2020, with all required admissions application materials due by this date. We look forward to working with you! Reach out today to learn more!
Once the required application, letters of recommendations, official transcripts, and fees are received, the Admission Committee will invite qualified applicants to schedule the on-site interview. See interview process for further details.
Please note that this program requires relocation to Arlington, VA for the duration of the (5) year program. International students are required to maintain valid immigration status throughout their time as students in the program.
See Catalog for additional information.
For any coursework completed outside the United States, please see instructions for the translation and/or evaluation of foreign transcripts.
Applicants who are admitted to the Psy.D. program must pass a background check prior to beginning work with clients in their external practicum or internships. Please see the Catalog for further information.
There are a number of scholarships available to students accepted to the Psy.D. program. Applicants are eligible to apply for these scholarships once they submit their completed Application for Admission to the Office of Admissions.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to our Admissions Office at email@example.com with any questions you may have about the application process, the Psy.D. program, or DMU in general! We look forward to receiving your application!